Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Reflections on 101 & 102

I took German in high school, but it wasn’t until I studied the subject at UNC that I began to get a complete understanding of the German language. I knew there were some ins and outs and a few idiosyncracities to the language, but learning them in-depth has made me appreciate and respect anyone who can successfully speak more than his or her native tongue. The cultural immersion and knowledge that comes with taking 101 and 102 has also made me aware that cultures are different and that there are positives and negatives to this difference. It leads to me appreciating the uniqueness of southern American culture as well as gaining from observing the interactions of the Germans. I believe it’s very true to say that the learning and awareness of different ways of lives and ways of interacting in the world is a good thing. It allows us to broaden the horizon on which we perceive and interact with the world.

One positive aspect of German is that my understanding of the grammar rules and terminology of the English language has increased. Being required to study the tenses and the parts of speech that certain words are reinforces my understanding of both English and German grammar. Learning German does have fun aspects, too. Since it’s not as prevalent at the university or social level as Spanish or English, we speakers can get away with furtively saying a few key sentences which otherwise would be awkward to say out loud. Sure this may be a devious aspect, but we all need an alternative to English.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Mason,

I'm glad that you gained a better understanding of the German language. It is difficult and sometimes hard to get for an English speaking person but in the end you find out that it is not that diverse.
I do also think that it is good to be aware of different cultures and different ways of life. I think it makes us to understand and respect others more.